Long days, short years

Parenting milestone last Saturday: I took Caroline to the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh to take the ACT. Thankfully I don't have to deal with actually thinking about college yet; this was a part of the Duke TIP program, for which Caroline earned a recommendation from a teacher at Ramay before we left Arkansas.

I remember taking the SAT myself in 7th grade; not much came out of it other than beginning to get college brochures long before I was interested in choosing an institution of higher learning, and bragging rights that I did well enough in 7th grade to actually get admitted to some colleges.

For Caroline, I would expect about the same outcome, as neither she nor I have much interest in the cost and logistics associated with attending one of the summer programs. I do think, though, that this was an incredible opportunity to be exposed to the college entrance exams, to demystify the test and help her take another step forward to figuring out her future.

I'm not in any hurry for that to happen yet, though. More and more, I look at my kids and wonder where the time has gone. The days that seemed endless, thankless and exhausting are mostly in the rear view mirror at this point. Instead, I wish my kids were just a little more interested in the attention they demanded from me as toddlers. They're turning into such interesting people, and are mostly a joy to be around. The years are speeding by, and even the days aren't as long as they used to be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grand Canyon Rim to Rim, Part 4 - the climb out (Bright Angel Trail)

Living the Wisconsin Life

Grand Canyon Rim to Rim, Part 1 - what it takes to get there