Performance time

In what I'm learning is a very robust arts program in Neenah, we were treated to another performance of Caroline's middle school band. In fact, we had the chance to hear the entire array of band levels at the every-other-year Band-O-Rama!
I had been joking with Shauna about having escaped beginner band concerts by virtue of moving to Wisconsin in the middle of Caroline's first year of band, landing in a district that starts band in 5th grade. Alas, here was the moment when I would be subjected to the beginners. I was pleasantly surprised, though, to find that even the youngest players were impressive for their short time learning!

For such a small town, there is incredible participation in the band program:
From 5th grade to 12th grade, they filled the gym, playing their selections one after another. I think it's a terrific idea; the kids get to hear where they came from and where they're going, depending on their perspective. They also get to be a part of something bigger, and understand where they fit in the big picture of the school music program.

I will admit - I thoroughly enjoyed it, from the youngest to the oldest, with my favorite part probably being the entry of the drumline for the high school band. How many years it's been since I've had that thumping rhythm in my chest, and it got me so excited to see Caroline progress all the way to marching band! Until then, I'll be the mom who slightly embarrasses her by insisting on a picture after the concert - because these moments are fleeting and I want to be able to remember them!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grand Canyon Rim to Rim, Part 4 - the climb out (Bright Angel Trail)

Living the Wisconsin Life

Grand Canyon Rim to Rim, Part 1 - what it takes to get there