New Recipe, week 11 - Buttery Breakfast Casserole

Let's see... butter, breakfast, and casserole. YES, PLEASE!!

Once again, NY Times Cooking website led me to the recipe. With an overnight refrigeration required, this two-day recipe fell squarely into week 11 by virtue of that's when I baked it, and that's when we ate it. My resolution, my rules - still on track. Let's go!
Whoa - look at all of those savories! This one sounded excellent on paper, and included some ingredients that were new to me. First, the Gruyere cheese. With grocery stores other than Walmart here, I am increasingly confident that I can find the unique things some of the NYT recipes call for, even if I don't have a bodega or ethnic store on the corner! Second, the Italian sausage with casings removed. I asked the very helpful gentlemen at the deli counter and got the good advice to simply use the ground Italian sausage. Simplify!

With everything gathered, I whirled into motion, toasting the croissants (okay, maybe way OVER toasting them, which the recipe very specifically says not to do - ugh!!), chopping the sage, browning the sausage on the stove.
While the meat was cooking, I whisked the eggs and the cream, adding the cheese, salt and pepper as noted.
 With the croissants crumbled and mixed with the sausage, and the custard made, it was time to pull it all together:
Shredded Guyere cheese on top, and into the fridge for the overnight soak to allow for the perfect blending of the custard and the bread.
The next morning, as I was waiting for the oven to heat, I looked at the leftover cheese and thought, why wouldn't I just use it all? More cheese, please!!
I slid the beautiful casserole into the oven, excited about the main course that awaited us for our Sunday brunch.
It did not disappoint; rich was the right word, incredibly filling and hearty, and a lovely new dish that will likely come back into the Sunday morning rotation on an occasional basis. Probably more of a holiday weekend effort in the future, but right up there with quiche as a fancy family breakfast or something to serve guests!
Bon Appetit!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grand Canyon Rim to Rim, Part 4 - the climb out (Bright Angel Trail)

Grand Canyon Rim to Rim, Part 1 - what it takes to get there

Living the Wisconsin Life