New Recipe, Week 15 - All Purpose Biscuits!

I'm still on track - one new recipe each week so far this year! I went for somewhat simple but fully satisfying this week, choosing the All Purpose Biscuits recipe from (once again) the NY Times cooking website. Don't you just love that name? All Purpose. Because really, biscuits are just that. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert. You choose - all purpose.

You know, it just hit me - this would've been the year to combine my bucket list task of cooking every recipe from a cookbook... guess I could still take a look at that, but I need the right cookbook! I'll have to think on that one...

Back to the cooking. After a trip to the store after work last night, I was prepared for both this week and next week's recipe. To get started, as usual, I gathered all ingredients to start:
I really need to get some more finely ground kosher salt. That's the salt Justin uses to brine the turkey, and since it's been on hand it's what I've used for my cooking up to this point, but I feel like I've graduated.

This recipe was so super simple - just these few ingredients, sift the dry ingredients, cut the butter in, add the milk, done. Well, cutting the butter in wasn't all that simple - I don't have a pastry cutter, so I used a fork, but once I got the hang of it, not too bad.
One thing I found a little odd was calling for the dough to rest for 30 minutes before cutting out the biscuits and putting them in the oven. I believe that may be a total Yankee thing - you know, NY Times and all - but I did it anyway. I've been faithful to the steps of the recipes I've tried, because if I'm not, how will I know if the recipe is the problem, or the cook?
Rolled out and resting under a kitchen towel, per the recipe
While I've had most of the proper kitchen tools for the recipes I've attempted, one thing I don't have - and many times over the years have thought, why don't I have one of those? - is a round biscuit cutter. Strangely, the recipe specifically accounted for this, noting you could also use a floured glass, which I did.
Eight round biscuits plus two more shaped by hand, and into the 425* oven they went. Fifteen minutes later I had golden, flaky, light, delicious, homemade biscuits.
Add some butter, a little honey, a cup of coffee, and it almost makes the snow outside easier to take.
This one was a definite winner all around - and another keeper for the recipe box to make again in the future! Pillsbury will do in a pinch, but these are easy enough to make that I think we'll definitely see these again!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grand Canyon Rim to Rim, Part 4 - the climb out (Bright Angel Trail)

Grand Canyon Rim to Rim, Part 1 - what it takes to get there

Living the Wisconsin Life