you know you're a baseball mom when...

As I mentioned, the crazy April weather and last weekend's blizzard have pushed Little League baseball season start off by a couple of weeks. John was supposed to have his first practices last week, but that can be hard to do when there isn't a patch of grass to be seen. We're hopeful that things will melt and dry out enough to make the May 5th opening day - as they say even with the Major Leagues, hope springs eternal!

In anticipation of the season, though, John asked to get a head start and to have a chance to hit some balls before the tryout that was scheduled for mid-March. If my kid is willing to do the work, then I'm going to spring into action to try and make it happen! I googled batting cages, found a couple of options, and on Sunday, March 11th, we grabbed his bat, gloves and helmet and were off!

First stop was at Play It Again Sports up in Appleton. They have indoor batting cages with different speed pitching machines, and I was hopeful this would be just the ticket. John waited his turn in line and after just a few swings, the rust came off and he was making contact with every ball.
He definitely hits for power; my kid loves to try and knock the cover off the ball!
Unfortunately, we didn't get there as early as I had hoped, and as one of the only indoor cages in town, the line was starting to grow. There was twice as much waiting as there was hitting, and after only a few rounds in the cage, John was frustrated and ready to go.

I wasn't quite ready to concede the day of practice, though - the second option was an indoor cage at Valley Athletic Club where we have a tennis membership. No machines here, but come on, now - do you think that's going to stop this baseball mom?
 Pitching a little batting practice for my kid!


I was pretty thankful for that screen - I can pitch some decent b.p., but the way John rips the ball, I had some line drives come right back at me! We both had fun - I felt good about being able to get the ball over the plate; he felt good to get some hitting in and reinforce his confidence; and best of all, I got to spend time with my son doing something we loved.

The practice paid off a week later when he had his tryouts for the local league. He pitched, fielded and hit well. I know I'm biased, but I really thought he was the strongest player of all of the kids his age that were there that day.
Then in the cage:
Being a baseball mom is a pretty good gig.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grand Canyon Rim to Rim, Part 4 - the climb out (Bright Angel Trail)

Grand Canyon Rim to Rim, Part 1 - what it takes to get there

Living the Wisconsin Life