New Year's Resolutions in 2019

It's that time of year again, when we race toward the last day on the calendar and begin turning our thoughts to the opportunities that lie ahead when we flip the page. As I have for many years, I've been noodling on my goals and challenges to lay out for the next twelve months. I managed to finish almost all of the to-do's I laid out for 2018, and I continue to love the sense of accomplishment that comes with achieving these goals! I did, however, also place enough stress on myself with the recipe-per-week resolution that I'm rethinking the level of commitment I'm willing to make for resolutions in 2019. To that end, here is my plan for the last year of this decade:
  • Improve my Spanish. I've already checked out some CDs from the library and I plan to listen to them while I get ready in the morning! I also have a Playaway audio book that I can use in the car, so Caroline and I may work on this one together on the morning ride to school.
  • Learn and memorize a new piano piece. It's been wonderful seeing the kids progress in their piano playing, and I say from time to time how much I miss sitting down and playing. I figure given my personality, I'm far more likely to find and make the time to practice if I put a specific goal in front of me.
  • Update and then complete at least one item from my Life List. Not sure what this one will be, but maybe take a vacation with Susannah, just the two of us? Ride my bike across a National Park? See the California Redwoods?
  • Go on a backpacking trip that requires primitive camping. I'm working on coordinating this with girlfriends, but my better guess is that it's something Caroline and I will be able to do together this summer.
  • Have one family fun night per week. This can be anything, as long as we're doing it together! Board games, reading together, playing tennis, taking a walk, something that lets us spend time together and stay connected with each other beyond talk at the dinner table. 
  • Journal more frequently. I'm not sure if this will be on my blog or in a paper notebook, but I feel like this might be something I'll look back and wish I'd done more of. No better time to start than now!
Hard to know what 2019 has in store for us, but I'm excited to make the most of every day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grand Canyon Rim to Rim, Part 4 - the climb out (Bright Angel Trail)

Grand Canyon Rim to Rim, Part 1 - what it takes to get there

Living the Wisconsin Life